Fins

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Fins

Post by surfydude » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 am

Anyone here likes fins? I do!

My local dive shop had some fins for sale so I picked up a pair of Hotshots. Yet to try them in the water, but tried them for a few hours while watching TV. They're comfy when strapped in properly. But you can't walk around in them so you're 'stuck'. Haha! :D

I considered getting Hyflex's. Not only do they look very cool and sleek, but the blade is detachable for storage. Sadly, they're very expensive and require boots to fit properly (which I don't have).

I also have a pair of yellow Tech 2's. Really comfy and short, so they can be packed anywhere. You can almost walk in them but they lack thrust so I got the bigger Hotshots when I need more power. I originally got these for bodyboarding and tried snorkelling with them, but their low thrust seems best for pool workouts.

I normally wear barefoot fins, but quickly realised most open heal fins are designed for neoprene boots. So if you've got boots already, you can easily add fins to your kit!

PurplePhoenix

Re: Fins

Post by PurplePhoenix » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:37 am

Can you elaborate on the "cannot walk around in them part"? I never gave getting fins much thought and also thought one could walk with them on land when lifting the legs high enough.

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 am

PurplePhoenix wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:37 am
Can you elaborate on the "cannot walk around in them part"? I never gave getting fins much thought and also thought one could walk with them on land when lifting the legs high enough.
Possible, but clumsy. The longer and floppier fins, the harder it gets. I can walk short distances in my short and stiff Tech 2's, but gets tricky with longer scuba fins. The really long and floppy freediving fins are quite cumbersome. You also run the risk of tripping, knocking things over, or breaking the fins. It's easier to walk backwards, but still looks silly no matter how you try it. So it's something to be avoided.

Dutchie
Wetsuit lover

Post by Dutchie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 pm

Cool! I think the fins are a nice addition to a cool wetsuit, and a nice way to restrict the movement of somebody ;-)

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:46 am

Dutchie wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 pm
Cool! I think the fins are a nice addition to a cool wetsuit, and a nice way to restrict the movement of somebody ;-)
Exactly! On land that is. Hilarious to watch someone stumbling around in big fins.

There's also another type of fin - the monofin. It looks like a fish tail but joins both feet so you swim like a dolphin or mermaid/merman. They're super fast in the water but you definitely can't walk in them. Talk about trapping a merman out of water. :D

Dutchie
Wetsuit lover

Post by Dutchie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Hahaha, I like the idea in a weird way :D