On being seen

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
rubrguy21
Wetsuit lover

On being seen

Post by rubrguy21 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:35 am

So given how guys here feel about (and in) their wetsuits,

when you are seen by others in public while in your suit, does it make you more or less self conscious? Do you enjoy being looked at, or do you start to get bashful?

When I first started activities involving wetsuits, I was shy about being seen in one. It didn't even have anything to do with how good or bad I looked in it. Now that I have worn one out diving, swimming, etc I am glad to be seen in one, even look forward to it.

I know I'm pretty average looking, so it's not me, but even in legitimate settings you get a lot of attention. You start to wonder if the onlooker could just be a little jealous (or simply curious about how that outfit feels!).

jamesingear
Wetsuit lover

Post by jamesingear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:38 am

I guess it depends on if you're actually going to go and do something which requires a wetsuit, like diving or surfing etc. unless you're confident I think you'd feel a bit strange just going out in your wetsuit for no reason, I don't know as I've never done it.

I've been out in my morphsuit before and I feel a bit nervous doing it, but I do it just for fun, and people just have a laugh about it, or if they go the other way and be agressive just ignore them and walk away :P

With the leathers, people ride motorbikes, people wear leathers while walking around, there's nothing new there so I just feel normal.

edlemming
Wetsuit lover

Post by edlemming » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I love going out and about in a wetsuit! I love getting down to the beach in a suit, then making your way past loads of people down to the sea. Sometimes I even park further away so I get a longer wetsuit walk :)
I always find you get a lot of admiring glances from people - i agree with you rubrguy21, i think everyone secretly is really jealous!

rubrguy21
Wetsuit lover

Post by rubrguy21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 am

Yeah...though I've never been suited up in a crowd, maybe that would be too much for me.

I've just never had someone say anything negative, despite what some might consider a ridiculous outfit. It's always "does that keep you warm?" or "water must be cold!" or "good move, it's cold today!". Either people are curious, or feel the need to comment (in a nice way). I'm convinced that many folks really would like to try one. I know how I used to feel from the outside looking in!

Just the other day, I was standing on the dock and a kayaker said something like "great choice, that water's chilly!". Standing there in my bare feet and a dripping wetsuit, with little left to imagination, I wonder what he was really thinking...

Strapples
Wetsuit lover

Post by Strapples » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 pm

ill wear my neoprene anywhere and i have a neoprene harness on my wheelchair and people always say "way to stay warm"

danl72
Wetsuit lover

Post by danl72 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 am

I have worn my wetsuit out before, but not in a crowd. I basically wore it when no one was around. I would like to just put it on and go out wearing it, but I have not.

rubrguy21
Wetsuit lover

Post by rubrguy21 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Were you wearing it for sport then, or just to have it on? I guess my question only applies to what onlookers would consider a "legitimate" venue.

But even then, for a long time I disliked being "caught" putting it on by a stranger, even at the water. Now I feel differently.

I still can't picture myself on a crowded beach. Maybe if it was a race and everyone was wearing them?

Matty

Post by Matty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:22 pm

I've started venturing out with my wetsuit under my street clothes. Just locally so far but i've got a long trip on public transport coming up and i am thinking about wearing it for that.

danl72
Wetsuit lover

Post by danl72 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Matty wrote:I've started venturing out with my wetsuit under my street clothes. Just locally so far but i've got a long trip on public transport coming up and i am thinking about wearing it for that.
You should. Sounds like fun and it will feel great.

Matty

Post by Matty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 am

The question is, shorty or full suit?

wetsuited
Wetsuit lover

Post by wetsuited » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:52 am

Think it should be a full wetsuit Matty for maximum effect :)

surf_kid
Wetsuit lover

Post by surf_kid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 am

definitely full if you can cover it up. maybe even something on underneath like a jock cup if you've got it :)

edlemming
Wetsuit lover

Post by edlemming » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:34 am

Love that idea. I'm considering a trip to the cinema with a full suit on underneath....

ultima6
Wetsuit lover

Post by ultima6 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm

personally i love to be in my wetsuits in house, but there is always a strage feeling that hopefully no neighbour rings the door bell and ask for coming to party or just for some milk etc.
Outside i prefer to wear it late in the night and woods or cruising area but not in public since all of them are slightly modified below :-)

ifitz
Wetsuit lover

Post by ifitz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 am

That happened to me once, I was in mine and my sister's co-worker stopped by! If I had known she would never find out, I would have answered the door. I kind of get excited by the idea of answering the door in my suit if I don't know the person- might cause some hot questions!