what thickness?

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
rubrguy21
Wetsuit lover

what thickness?

Post by rubrguy21 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:02 pm

I'd like to know what your preferences are with regards to material thickness. Now I think lycra is in a category all by itself, so I am just asking about wetsuits. Do you guys like thicker suits? Thinner? I personally think the sweet spot is 3mm, but maybe there are other ideas here?

BlondGuppy
Wetsuit lover

Re: what thickness?

Post by BlondGuppy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 pm

rubrguy21 wrote:I'd like to know what your preferences are with regards to material thickness. Now I think lycra is in a category all by itself, so I am just asking about wetsuits. Do you guys like thicker suits? Thinner? I personally think the sweet spot is 3mm, but maybe there are other ideas here?
I have a Luna Point full suit, which is a mix of 3/4/5... Its thicker on the arms and legs, and it does make moving the arms especially, quite difficult. I also have a Ripcurl 3/2 Shortie, which is certainly easier to move about in, but if you're strapped the bed, I suppose it doesn't really matter! ;)

And then, theres my Orca S2.... :P

BlondGuppy. Relaxed, kind, caring, fun loving overgrown kid.

Steve
Wetsuit lover

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am

One of my old favs was a 1/0.5mm very thin and comfy. Also SHOWED OFF all my good bits. :D Most of the time its 3/2mm

BlondGuppy
Wetsuit lover

Post by BlondGuppy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Steve wrote:One of my old favs was a 1/0.5mm very thin and comfy. Also SHOWED OFF all my good bits. :D Most of the time its 3/2mm
My Orca does that. it really does hug the natural contours quite well. It's nice and tight, makes for an interesting time if I decide to sleep in it.

BlondGuppy. Relaxed, kind, caring, fun loving overgrown kid.

asiandudee
Wetsuit lover

Thickness

Post by asiandudee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:16 pm

My favorite suit is a Quiksilver 3:2 fullsuit. I've worn my friend's 1mm and it feels amazing. You can feel more in a thinner suit.

Strapples
Wetsuit lover

Post by Strapples » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:31 pm

what is the thickest of thick that wetsuits come in

mark314
Wetsuit lover

thick neoprene

Post by mark314 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Strapples wrote:what is the thickest of thick that wetsuits come in
As far as I know, the thickest material for standard diving suits is 7 mm. If that is nor warm enough (note that neoprene has tiny gas bubbles inside and gets compressed the deeper you are under water) divers wear a second layer of neoprene. A long john plus jacket gives 14 mm neoprene. Another combination is waering a one piece fullsuit and an additional vest with no arms.

Regards, Mark

mark314
Wetsuit lover

Re: what thickness?

Post by mark314 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 pm

rubrguy21 wrote:I'd like to know what your preferences are with regards to material thickness. Now I think lycra is in a category all by itself, so I am just asking about wetsuits. Do you guys like thicker suits? Thinner? I personally think the sweet spot is 3mm, but maybe there are other ideas here?
Over the years, I tried many different wetsuits. I prefer rather thin wetsuits. They are very comfortable to wear and show off the bday nicely. My favorite model is the "Camaro speedskin". Ist made from 2 mm neoprene and as an awesome seams which look much like Speedo's fastskin.

I also love my Orca RS1 which is only 1 mm. Both have in inner lining but the outer surface is plain rubber.

Have fun, Mark

Strapples
Wetsuit lover

Re: thick neoprene

Post by Strapples » Sat May 07, 2011 9:01 pm

mark314 wrote:
As far as I know, the thickest material for standard diving suits is 7 mm. If that is nor warm enough (note that neoprene has tiny gas bubbles inside and gets compressed the deeper you are under water) divers wear a second layer of neoprene. A long john plus jacket gives 14 mm neoprene. Another combination is waering a one piece fullsuit and an additional vest with no arms.

Regards, Mark
thanks what brand should i look for a 7mm suit

mark314
Wetsuit lover

Post by mark314 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:04 pm

Strapples wrote:
mark314 wrote:

Regards, Mark
I'd assume that all the major diving suit manufacturers have 7 mm models. Don't know which are sold in UK - try Mares or Camaro.

Strapples
Wetsuit lover

Post by Strapples » Sun May 08, 2011 1:41 am

mark314 wrote:
Strapples wrote:
mark314 wrote: As far as I know, the thickest material for standard diving suits is 7 mm. If that is nor warm enough (note that neoprene has tiny gas bubbles inside and gets compressed the deeper you are under water) divers wear a second layer of neoprene. A long john plus jacket gives 14 mm neoprene. Another combination is waering a one piece fullsuit and an additional vest with no arms.

Regards, Mark
I'd assume that all the major diving suit manufacturers have 7 mm models. Don't know which are sold in UK - try Mares or Camaro.
am in USA. know any good ones in SMOOTHSKIN

CuteCyclingBoy

Post by CuteCyclingBoy » Wed May 11, 2011 11:57 am

Strapples wrote:
mark314 wrote:
Strapples wrote: thanks what brand should i look for a 7mm suit
am in USA. know any good ones in SMOOTHSKIN
The suits here are cheap and good.

http://ww2.sierratradingpost.com/triathlon-gear~d~2400/