Triathlon Wetsuit

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
a.berry.2001

Triathlon Wetsuit

Post by a.berry.2001 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this site, so hi!
I have been into wetsuits for a while now and own a pretty good collection, but from here I now have an interest in the triathlon wetsuits (the more smooth and shiny ones like the ORca one). I just wondered if they are any different from a regular wetsuit, and if it is worth the money getting one. Do they feel different, are they a tighter fit?
Also, there is a shop near where I live that sells them but I am too embarrased to go in a try one (I think they may know what I am up to as i dont look like a person who does triathlons!). Do you think they would know and should I just go for it?

Thanks!

Strapples
Wetsuit lover

Post by Strapples » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

they wont get a cliue that your a fetishist... try one on man.

triath suits fit differently than a regular suit your correct there. not sure if its a tighter fit but they are made different materials so they feel different

thetightness

Post by thetightness » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I really like the feel of the rubber coating on the outside, but the inside feels the same. Also it's less stretchy, so it could feel tighter. I like to turn it inside out and hop in the shower and slide into it, so the rubber is on the inside. Feels awesome!

I think it's probably worth it, but I rarely use mine since it's a little too tight on me and I wind up sweating a ton.

mark314
Wetsuit lover

Re: Triathlon Wetsuit

Post by mark314 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 pm

a.berry.2001 wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this site, so hi!
I have been into wetsuits for a while now and own a pretty good collection, but from here I now have an interest in the triathlon wetsuits (the more smooth and shiny ones like the ORca one). I just wondered if they are any different from a regular wetsuit, and if it is worth the money getting one. Do they feel different, are they a tighter fit?
Also, there is a shop near where I live that sells them but I am too embarrased to go in a try one (I think they may know what I am up to as i dont look like a person who does triathlons!). Do you think they would know and should I just go for it?

Thanks!
I also have a number of wetsuits, including several triathlon suits. These are my preferred wetsuits.

In contrast to diving suits, triathlon wetsuits do not have an outer lining. I love the look of the pure neoprene, but they are also more sensitive so be careful in case you like rope bondage. Also, the pattern (cut?) is different in that triathlon wetsuits are tailored for athletic men.

Triathlon wetsuits are offered with many different neorpene strenghts, ranging from 5 mm (more is not allowed due to Triathlon regulations) to only 1-2 mm. I prefer the thin material. Some examples of this thriathlon wetsuits are the Orce RS1, Orca Equip Lite and Camaro Speedskin.

Have fun, Mark

givingground

Post by givingground » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't know about "regular" wetsuits since I have never worn one, but I can tell you that there is even a huge difference between various triathlon wetsuits. One point has already been mentioned by mark314, and that is the neoprene thickness. Thinner material is usually more stretchy and flexible.

Another point is the kind of neoprene that is used. Most triathlon wetsuits are made of Yamamoto #39 neoprene because it has proven to offer the best compromise between flexibility and durability.
The Aquaman Cell Gold, that I have, is an exemption to this as it uses Yamamoto #40 neoprene. This kind of neoprene is much softer, smoother and more flexible. Even though this suit is fitting me really tight, it is my impression that it doesn't put as much pressure on the body as the other wetsuits that I have.
Additionally, it has a thin layer of neoprene on the inside, which is also different from the synthetic fabrics that most suits use.

It is also my impression that some advance has been made in the development of #39 neoprene. Last year's Sailfish One, for example, feels much softer and more flexible than my 7-year-old Orca PFlex (might have to do with the age) or even the BlueSeventy Helix.

I have also tried on several low-end triathlon wetsuits. A general rule of thumb is that the low-end wetsuits are not only less flexible in the chest and shoulder area compared to high-end suits, but that the neoprene seems to be stiffer and more rigid in general.

I highly recommend going to the shop and trying on a triathlon wetsuit :)

manicman
Wetsuit lover

Post by manicman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 pm

anoneemooos wrote:Wiggle.co.uk sell fairly cheap Orca wetsuits
thats not cheap lol , thats very expensive :P 40% off and its still £300 :P

BlondGuppy
Wetsuit lover

Post by BlondGuppy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Heheh, Orca are definitely NOT cheap suits, but they are damn nice!!

Try Camaro Speedsuits too, same sort of price unfortunately, but they do have a nice sheen to them!

BlondGuppy. Relaxed, kind, caring, fun loving overgrown kid.

manicman
Wetsuit lover

Post by manicman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

i paid £20 for my suit, that will need to do the now lol

ifitz
Wetsuit lover

Post by ifitz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Stupid question: triathlon wetsuits show off bulges and abs etc. so well because they are so thin and tight (the material) right?

BlondGuppy
Wetsuit lover

Post by BlondGuppy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:26 pm

They need to be thin and light weight; makes things much easier when taking part in events! Ye don't want to be wallowing around like a walrus beside the water in a 7mm neoprene suit that has absorbed half of the lake!

BlondGuppy. Relaxed, kind, caring, fun loving overgrown kid.

ifitz
Wetsuit lover

Post by ifitz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Makes sense... that's what I figured!

a.berry.2001

Post by a.berry.2001 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 pm

So its been a number of months now and still not managed to try a triathlon wetsuit. I still want to try one at the store in sheffield (JE James if anyone has any experience) so do you think I go for it? I have this feeling they will know why I want to try one, as I am not really a triathlon looking guy, tall skinny and long hair =S Anyone in sheffield have one I can try!!!!

a.berry.2001

Post by a.berry.2001 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

That the other thing I am worried about, I will more than likely get excited when trying them on, what if they ask me to show them to see if its the correct size?!? Where in Manchester, I head over there every now and then, maybe I could try and squeeze into it.

manicman
Wetsuit lover

Post by manicman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:17 pm

oh now that could get a bit awkward lol

alienmaster

orca wet suits

Post by alienmaster » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:38 am

yes i own three orca wet suit i love them since i wear them with bondage
rubber master into bondage in wetsuits