Layering multiple wetsuits

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Layering multiple wetsuits

Post by surfydude » Sun May 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Who here has worn multiple wetsuits at once, on top of each other? Which suits did you wear and how did it feel?

I did it out of curiosity a few times to see if it was practical for watersports, but came away with a different experience altogether. Layering is warmer, compresses your body more tightly, and adds considerable bulk. The thick rubber is noticeable. It gets stiff around the arms, making surfing or swimming difficult, especially wearing more than 2 suits.

From inside to out I tried:
O'neill Hammer 2/1 short sleeve springsuit
Ripcurl Classic 2/2 long sleeve springsuit

This felt much warmer than either suit on its own, with a lot less water getting in. It wasn't too stiff, but could be tiresome after a lot of paddling.

Much later, I tried 3 suits:
Billabong Foil 2/2 short sleeve springsuit
Ripcurl Classic 2/2 long sleeve springsuit
Billabong SG Xero 3/2 fullsuit

The first 2 felt much like before, just a little bulkier and stiffer. Then I struggled to get the 3rd suit on, and it felt really stiff and bulky, like being squeezed in a heavy restrictive suit of rubber armour. Definitely not for watersports, unless maybe you're scuba diving or doing something that has little movement.

neoprene

Re: Layering multiple wetsuits

Post by neoprene » Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Sometimes, i put on my full latex catsuit and my triathlon wetsuit or in my surf wetsuit (chest zip)+ my triathlon wetsuit. It's very very hot but it's very funny in water :mrgreen:

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Mon May 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Haha, how is it funny? Do you float like a cork? :D

neoprene

Post by neoprene » Tue May 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Exactly ! And you are completely protect from outside :D You don't feel the fresh water but if you don't go in water, you burn inside :oops:
I see one time on leboncoin.fr a wetsuit (freediving, 2 pieces) 12 milimeter (thick) with gloves and socks 6mm. I will try it but 500€ it's too expensive :(

The wetsuit: https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies ... m/?ca=12_s

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Wow, I'll have to try 2 full suits in the water. I float in 1 suit, but not a lot. Yes, it's hot until you get into water but very little gets in.

And a 12mm suit!! Incredible! I've never seen one before. Imagine all that rubber on you and how much you float!

Wetsuitlad98

Post by Wetsuitlad98 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Have always wanted to try it with another wetsuit or latex suit under my wetsuit but I was always afraid of damaging the suits lol. I have tried it with a lycra full body suit and a cycle suit under my wetsuit but that's pretty vinilla when you want a latex catsuit under it all :lol:

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:49 am

Latex under a wetsuit sounds awesome! I've always wanted to try, but could be tricky without breaking the fragile latex. I'm guessing some sort lubricant (used for unlined freediving suits) may be required.

Wetsuits are generally durable enough to be layered, especially if they're lined both sides. Some scuba divers do it, but I find anything more than 2 layers impractically stiff.

Out of curiosity, I've even tried putting a surf suit over a smooth triathlon suit without problems, but keep the smoothskin on the outside if you're worried.

zeep
Wetsuit lover

Post by zeep » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

i had a shorty, oneill fully, orca and a 5mm camaro on top.
couldnt rlly move anymore :D up to 1,4cm of neoprene :D

neoprene

Post by neoprene » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Sometimes, I put my triathlon wetsuit upside (smooth side inside) and closed. After, I put on my 2 piece freediving wetsuit above. It's so cool te be smooth inside and outside :mrgreen:

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Wow, I'm impressed! So many suits! That must be intense to be buried in so much neoprene (and the smooth type). I thought I was nuts for trying 3 suits at once, but this is a whole new level.

Hmm, I wonder how many suits can Gordon get on at once. Here's an idea for the next video!