Wetsuits stuck at the wrists and ankles

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Wetsuits stuck at the wrists and ankles

Post by surfydude » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 am

I can get a full wetsuit on without too much trouble (using a plastic bag to slide it on), but getting it off is a lot harder. Wrists are a little difficult, but I always struggle bigtime at the ankles, especially when the suit is wet. I found I need a bag over my foot to get it off (works for a surf suit, but not always for smoothskin). I could never get a triathlon suit off quickly (even after a swim).

Anyone else have this problem and how do you get a suit off easily? I've read suggestions of using lubricants such as bodyglide and cooking oil, but they're messy and not an option when just trying on a suit!

Dutchie
Wetsuit lover

Re: Wetsuits stuck at the wrists and ankles

Post by Dutchie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm

Getting out is indeed more of a trouble than getting in indeed. I usually end up with the suit inside out. In that case the trouble is a bit less, but still its not too easy.

The most trouble I have is with my front zip. Especially when wet, either from the sweat or the water.

leatherbiker84

Post by leatherbiker84 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 pm

I generally find it is much easier to get a wetsuit off when it is wet. Aiming for it to be inside out is a good way to go about it... inside out is the best way to store wetsuits too, so the fragile neoprene on the outside stands less chance of being damaged. The first advice I was given about getting my wetsuit off was to peel it off like a banana skin, so that it ends up inside out. This generally helps it, especially when wet, to slide over itself rather than get stuck to your skin. Hope this helps!

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm

I've always peeled my full wetsuits off and they end up inside out, so it's not new. Only problem is they don't slide easily over my hands or feet (probably because mine are big!).

Smooth wetsuits do get slippery when wet, but opposite is true for surf suits (especially chest zips). A bag helps, but I'd be keen to hear other ideas.