When is it too warm for wetsuits

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

When is it too warm for wetsuits

Post by surfydude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm

With warm temperatures common lately in many parts of the world (even in my hometown - a few 26-27 degree days in winter!), how warm does it get to be intolerable for wetsuits? Obviously, it depends on the suit and if it's wet or dry.

For me, around 25 degrees it gets too warm to stay dry for long. With a full suit, I have to get in the water as soon as it is zipped up, or else I'll swelter. Sometimes I'll have it on halfway from the change room to the water's edge to avoid baking in the change room or sand. It's okay once I'm in the water. I haven't tried a full suit in a heated pool or spa - but a spring suit is no problem unless I swim really hard.

At 20-25 degrees, full suits are bit warm when dry, but keep me comfortable when wet. Spring suits may be comfortable dry, but a bit too cold for me in the water.

Anything less, it's no contest - full suit all the way! And thicker suits too when wet.

neoprene

Re: When is it too warm for wetsuits

Post by neoprene » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 pm

I have the same problem: during 1 week, we have 35-40°C :oops: It's imposible to put on wetsuit , even with water behind. Since yesterday it's better !
I am in my freediving wetsuit with my smoothskin booties and gloves.
:P

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:59 am

neoprene wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 pm
I have the same problem: during 1 week, we have 35-40°C :oops: It's imposible to put on wetsuit , even with water behind.
Eek, 35-40 degrees is brutal. I can't put on a wetsuit in that either and have to settle for rash shirt and boardshorts. Even the water is like a spa.

Good to hear it's cooler. What freediving suit do you have?

neoprene

Post by neoprene » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:23 pm

I have a spetton freediving wetsuit (in two piece), it's an old model but very comfy :D
With that, I have surf booties like this one (and smoothskin gloves)
https://www.hotmer.com/A-44359-chausson ... l-3mm.aspx
I try to make photo when the weather was better :wink:

And you what wetsuits do you have?

Wetsuit_boy
Wetsuit lover

Post by Wetsuit_boy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

I know the problem too. It's too hot right now. It is too warm in July and until mid-August! And it has too many people. It would be too noticeable. My favorite is the Nabaiji wetsuit and booties from o'neill. and gloves.

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:46 pm

The hot summer gets me sticky so I tend to quickly slip on a spring suit and jump in the water immediately. The short sleeves and legs are a lot less noticeable and a lot cooler when wet. And very easy to change in and out of.
neoprene wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:23 pm
I have a spetton freediving wetsuit (in two piece), it's an old model but very comfy :D
With that, I have surf booties like this one (and smoothskin gloves)
https://www.hotmer.com/A-44359-chausson ... l-3mm.aspx
I try to make photo when the weather was better :wink:

And you what wetsuits do you have?
Nice suit! I like freediving suits, especially the one piece ones, but I only have surf suits at the moment: Billabong Xero chest zip full, Billabong foil spring suit, Ripcurl classic spring suit. I usually wear the Billabong spring suit in summer when the full suit is too hot.

I used to have a 2XU but long sold. I might get an Orca. Except I'm worried it might get too hot later.

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:39 pm

I went down to my local swim/tri shop to check out some Orca wetsuits. But yikes! They turned the store heating up too much! I felt too warm already in a shirt, yet alone trying on a wetsuit. The temp must be for those trying on speedos (in winter) :shock:. It's even worse when the first suit is too small, and you have to struggle to try another one. They get damp inside quick, so you have to be fast, before the suit sticks. I ended up with sweat dripping from my head. Unfortunately, there was a big gap behind my neck that the velcro flap couldn't close despite multiple attempts, so sadly no purchase :(.

Moral of the story: trying suits on in a store that's too warm isn't a good idea.