Floating in wetsuits

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Floating in wetsuits

Post by surfydude »

Who here enjoys suiting up and and floating around in the water? Yes, it's true that wetsuits (especially full suits) make you float without moving, either lying face up or down. As well as getting the suit all slick and shiny, I find it quite relaxing to be suspended motionless by nothing but water, and having the whole sky or ocean/pool floor in front of you. I'll even strap on a dive mask to see into the depths and do underwater somersaults with ease.
zeep
Wetsuit lover

Re: Floating in wetsuits

Post by zeep »

interestin idea, gotta try this.
cool ide dude :)
Dutchie
Wetsuit lover

Post by Dutchie »

Yes, I love that. I did it a while ago, wearing a full diving suit, with a dive mask and a snorkel. It was absolutely amazing. The suit didn't allow any water in it for the first couple of minutes. So I only felt the pressure of the suit against my skin and the water only against my face. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
PurplePhoenix

Post by PurplePhoenix »

I used to just float in pools for fun. (Without wetsuits.) One just gets lost in time and can relax. Trying it out with a wetsuit sounds like a really interesting idea.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

It's a lot easier and fun when you're encased in neoprene (and maybe dive mask and snorkel). Feels like what Dutchie said.
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

Just found this picture of a really odd wetsuit. You could certainly float in it with the extra neoprene, but I can't work out what its real purpose is.
https://beachgrit.com/wp-content/upload ... 8x1024.jpg
Similar style suits are used for jumping out of planes or off tall objects and then 'flying', but in water with a suit that floats.... and from a famous diving equipment manufacturer? :?
brownbag

Post by brownbag »

kevsomerset wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:12 pm Just found this picture of a really odd wetsuit. You could certainly float in it with the extra neoprene, but I can't work out what its real purpose is.
https://beachgrit.com/wp-content/upload ... 8x1024.jpg
Similar style suits are used for jumping out of planes or off tall objects and then 'flying', but in water with a suit that floats.... and from a famous diving equipment manufacturer? :?
It's not for floating, but for diving, as you can see in this article: https://sciencepost.org/revolutionary-w ... -in-water/
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

I love swimming in wetsuits and I do it often. And sometimes I just rest and lie on the water. It's nice and soothing.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

One can add weights if one wants to sink instead of float. Divers do it all the time. But I usually prefer to float and swim in mine. Fins make swimming easier and more fun
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

I like that wetsuit provides buoyancy. When swimming, the position is better, you can just lie on the water, etc. Adding weights will spoil this great effect. But of course it is possible.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

I like the buoyancy too when swimming. It lets me slow the pace without worrying I will sink, so I can have a fast or slow workout. But sometimes I like to freedive a bit deeper, sit on the bottom, or do an underwater somersault. I cannot do any of those in a full wetsuit that floats me too much without weights. So I'll need weights if I want to dive underwater, but not swimming.