can a wetsuit be too tight?

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
trevorbby771

can a wetsuit be too tight?

Post by trevorbby771 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:53 pm

I wanna go as small (tight) as possible when it comes to me buying wetsuits but how tight it too tight?

PurplePhoenix

Re: can a wetsuit be too tight?

Post by PurplePhoenix » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 am

I have bought - on purpose - wetsuits that are smaller than the recommended size. There is not also the girth but also the height to consider. Some makers sell in-between-sizes that are made for taller people. I should be wearing wetsuits in the L range but I bought a ST one. That one is a struggle to get into but I manage. Smaller definitely would not work for me, so I would say that wetsuits can be too small. It does not cover my wrists or ankles at all as a well-fitting wetsuit should. The tighter you go the smaller you have to go.

I can also feel an impact on the ease of breathing when wearing that wetsuit which is why I cannot fall asleep wearing it. So if I want to wear a wetsuit for an extended period of time I got one better fitted for my size. That is just my experience though, that might be different for others.

surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Re: can a wetsuit be too tight?

Post by surfydude » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:06 pm

It's too tight when you feel uncomfortably pushed down in your shoulders, inwards on your chest or up your nuts. It will hurt after a while and be hard to breathe. I like my suits either just snug or a little tighter.

Another thing to consider is that wetsuits lose their stretch over time (all mine have), so if you have a suit that's too tight to begin with, it can feel like it's shrunk after a few years. Conversely, if the suit is loose (or partly loose), it will never shrink to fit. Loose is never fun.

Mind you, the size chart isn't always correct, nor is it always consistent across all suits in the same brand. Nothing beats trying on.