Open-Cell Wetsuits?

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
skyler

Open-Cell Wetsuits?

Post by skyler »

I've been looking at spearfish diving wetsuit, usually they come in two pieces, and need to be lubricated in order to slip inside.

They usually get described as 'more comfortable' than a regular wetsuit, but I was wondering if this was on dry land? I've also heard it feels like a prison out of water, which does sound appealing.

Has anyone had any experience with open-cell wetsuits.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Re: Open-Cell Wetsuits?

Post by surfydude »

Sounds like an interesting experience. I haven't tried one but I think the comfort has to do with the nature of the suit.

-The 2 pieces can be sized separately for better fit and independent of torso length.
-Only the outside has lining, so it is more stretchy. The smoothskin also seals tightly inside so it's warmer in the water with less thickness. But I have seen a reversable suit. Freediving suits are just the reverse, and a few have no lining whatsoever.
-They have an attached hood and 2 layers around waist and crotch, so even toastier

Getting lubed up can be messy, if you're not getting in the water. I'd definitely avoid soap
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

I like the open cell interiors in the freediving & spearfishing suits. It does need a quite lot of lube to put them on and I have found mixing up some J-Lube to be very effective.
There are freediving suits that are smooth outside and open cell inside. Most of these have a fine nylon layer sandwiched in the material to give it a degree of durability, but they are still quite fragile, often more so than a triathlon wetsuit.
There are one or two companies that make these suits without the reinforcement in the foam, like some of the Spetton suits. The rubber is so light and flexible you don't really feel the suit, its just like having a rubber skin! Loads of lube needed to put these on and take them off.
PurplePhoenix

Post by PurplePhoenix »

I find myself intrigued by the idea. Do you know of any currently available wetsuits that are open-cell inside, smooth-skin outside and one-pieces? I can only find some that fit two of these three criteria, but not all three.
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

I don't think I know of any. I think you will really struggle to get all three features in one suit unless its some form of custom made suit. The combined open cell / smoothskin finishes make the material quite weak so not really possible to put a zip into it. The two piece freediving suits don't have any closure devices fitted directly into areas of open cell/smoothskin, but only areas with some form of 'reinforcement' or lining.

The only thing I can think of is if you could find a manufacturer that can use a 'laminated' neoprene material so to speak. Basically a thin layer of open cell with lined outside with e think smoothskin layer bonded to the outside so there would 'lining' mid way through the thickness of the neoprene to improve strength. I have heard of the above process, but I can't recall which companies used it, sorry.
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

PurplePhoenix wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:06 pm I find myself intrigued by the idea. Do you know of any currently available wetsuits that are open-cell inside, smooth-skin outside and one-pieces? I can only find some that fit two of these three criteria, but not all three.
Whilst looking on the web, I came across an Australian company that make what you might be looking for and may ship/deliver world wide.... The do not seem cheap though and look like they have to be custom made.
https://rubberknite.webnode.com/
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

I don't know if Rubberknite is still in business, as I haven't seen that site for years. Ken (who runs it) has since moved interstate twice and now runs OI Wetsuit Repairs (www.oiwetsuitrepairs.com). Might be worth asking if he does custom suits, but it won't be cheap.

The old site is a nice blast from the past with a lot of saucy content worth checking out.
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

You may be right as the link in the tumblr page doesn't work, but a google search found another link.
The Tumblr page is being continually updated though. There are some nice pictures on that page of rubber outfits & wetsuits.