Which zipper do you prefer?

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Which zipper do you prefer?

Post by Fido »

Which zipper do you prefer? Closing from top to bottom or classically from bottom to top? Or even a zipper in front?
It is more difficult to switch on from the top down, but it does not form a bump at the back, so it does not push during sleep and hides better under clothing. Therefore, I prefer this variant.
PurplePhoenix

Re: Which zipper do you prefer?

Post by PurplePhoenix »

I have never seen a wetsuit that has a zipper closing from the top to the bottom, could you link to an example? I personally find zipperless to be by far the most comfortable, but its a bit more tricky to put on.
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

For example this:

Without a zipper, it's my dream, but no one makes it.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

I always prefer zipping up from bottom to top, as I'm often alone suiting up and I can't do that with a reverse zip. Pulling that cord up and sealing myself in feels good. With the zip on the back, the front is all nice and smooth.

I also have a chest zip suit as well, and it's a different experience putting them on. The smaller opening makes it tricky, so I have to play contortionist to squeeze my hips and arms into the thing. Pulling the neck piece over my head makes me feel very much locked and sealed into the suit, much more than a back zip. There's literally no easy way out. No back zip also means the back panel freely moves with my back. No tugging or buckling when bending forwards or backwards, and the whole suit feels truer to a second skin. Downside is I miss the zip up and they're slow and fiddly to put on when going swimming or surfing, and you want to get in the water ASAP.

You can get zipperless suits too that do away with the chest zip and you get in by stretching the shoulder opening (also found on a chest zip, but smaller). The feeling is similar, but a bit stretchier and no zip to press on your chest. I haven't tried those suits yet but I'm too worried I won't be able to get out, especially when wet!

And there's also 2-piece freediving suits with built in hoods which are also zipperless. The shiny smooth surface is hot and you can install a sheath for ugh, you know.

Each to their own and fun to suit up!
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

I'm considering getting one with a chest zipper. I'm just a little worried it won't be as flexible as triathlon wetsuits.
How are these suits with flexibility? Don't they restrict movement too much?
It would be 3/2 mm thick.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

Flexibility depends more on the suit material, rather than the zipper. It also tends to increase with price. A high end 3/2 shouldn't restrict, but it's expensive. I've tried a Ripcurl Ebomb years ago and it was super flexible. But it might not be as flexible as a high end triathlon wetsuit, so if flexibility and ease of swimming is a concern, I'd choose the triathlon suit. Try it in a store and see.

Also consider the fit. A chest zip or zipperless suit doesn't have an adjustable velcro collar like a back zip does, so the neck hole has to be either be very stretchy or close to your size. They also take longer to put on and take off.
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

Thanks for the answers.

What is your opinion on this suit?
https://srface.com/shop/mens-wetsuit/?currency=EUR
brownbag

Post by brownbag »

What is your opinion on this suit?
https://srface.com/shop/mens-wetsuit/?currency=EUR
I own a 4/3 of this brand and I like it. I use it for surfing as wel as for kinky fun.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

I haven't got one of those suits, but doesn't look bad at all. The chest zip (or even zipperless) entry is about as close as one gets to a 'neck entry' suit, and it isn't far off.
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

I also bought a wetsuit with a chest zipper. It's really a completely different, more comfortable dimension than the zipper at the back or front. And the feeling of closure in the neoprene is more complete.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

Fido wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 pm I also bought a wetsuit with a chest zipper. It's really a completely different, more comfortable dimension than the zipper at the back or front. And the feeling of closure in the neoprene is more complete.
Totally agree! No back zip means the suit moulds and moves with your torso with complete flexibility. And headpiece closes over your head like a lid sealing you in, so you feel integrated into the suit. It's harder to remove, so you're less likely to fiddle with the zipper. Neck entry would be even more awesome, but this is close.