Smoothskins

Chat about anything wetsuit related.
rubrguy21
Wetsuit lover

Smoothskins

Post by rubrguy21 »

Can someone describe to me what smooth suits (tri suits) are like? I don't have any place near me to check them out. How do they feel different? Are they different to swim in? And does anyone not like them and prefer the standard kind?
thetightness

Post by thetightness »

Feels the same on the inside (neoprene), but the smooth rubber exterior feels really nice. It's great to just run your hands over your body and feel like it's now your skin. The suit is also less stretchy and more constricting, and I find myself sweating and getting hot a lot quicker.

I haven't swam in one, but apparently they make you more buoyant and faster. Not like I care about that stuff though :P
nikepro74

Re: Smoothskins

Post by nikepro74 »

Some of the higher end triathlon suits also have smoother inside stitching and linings to minimize chafing when swimming. The neck is also smoother.

But the real difference is the outside. It looks like a seamless suit since there's no exposed stitching on the outside.
Fido
Wetsuit lover

Post by Fido »

rubrguy21 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:47 am Can someone describe to me what smooth suits (tri suits) are like? I don't have any place near me to check them out. How do they feel different? Are they different to swim in? And does anyone not like them and prefer the standard kind?
Do you mean the difference from ordinary wetsuit?
These are suits designed for swimming. They put minimal resistance to water, they float in the right places so your body position when swimming is ideal. They practically do not restrict the movement of the arms, so swimming does not tire you. On the contrary, ordinary wetsuit is not very suitable for swimming. Your arms in it must overcome resistance and you will soon be tired.
Wearing such a smooth skin wetsuit is a pleasant feeling. You are not cold in the water when you get out of the water, the wind does not cool you down and the suit adheres well to your skin and copies its movements so you don't even notice that you are wearing anything.
When you run your hands over your body, you feel as if your own skin is made of soft, smooth rubber.
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

Yep, the smooth shiny outside is unreal. You feel like you're tightly coated and moulded in shiny rubber. Flexible and squishy to touch as well. The thickness gives it a 3D feel that you don't get from latex.
kevsomerset
Wetsuit lover

Post by kevsomerset »

There used to be a triathlon suit maker (Aquaman, I think) that made a full suit with the normal smooth surface outside, but it had very little nylon lining inside. Just the open cell foam like freediving & spear fishing wetsuits. Can't remember the full name, but I think it was something like 'gold cell'?

Just searched for it and it looks like its still made / available, but you would need extremely deep pockets to own one.
https://aquamantri.com/product/mens-cell-gold-wetsuit/
surfydude
Wetsuit lover

Post by surfydude »

kevsomerset wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:08 pm There used to be a triathlon suit maker (Aquaman, I think) that made a full suit with the normal smooth surface outside, but it had very little nylon lining inside. Just the open cell foam like freediving & spear fishing wetsuits. Can't remember the full name, but I think it was something like 'gold cell'?

Just searched for it and it looks like its still made / available, but you would need extremely deep pockets to own one.
https://aquamantri.com/product/mens-cell-gold-wetsuit/
Great design too! I'm curious to wear it. Wondering if the SCS coated neoprene needs lube to put on like spear fishing suits.